The Technology Centre AIMEN is a reference centre for Materials and Joining Technologies. 110 R&D&I projects have been administered in 2007, approximately 2/3 of all R&D&i projects are being implemented in collaboration with the industry.
Joining and Cutting Processes
- Laser processing at macro and microscale of metallic and non-metallic materials: Cutting & Joining.
- Automatisation of conventional welding processes.
- New joining processes (Friction Stir Welding, adhesives, hybrid technologies, wave control).
- Mechanical Joints
- Thermal forming: Forge, extrusion.
- Cold forming: Profiles, lamination.
Laser Assisted Forming
Development of high performance materials
Life cycle improvement of tools and components
- Tribology and corrosion phenomena
- Thermo-chemical and cryogenic treatments
- New materials and advanced coatings
- Residual Stresses
- Surface modification by laser cladding processes
- Surface modifications by local thermal treatments and controlled re-fusion
- Conventional cladding techniques
Inspection and Non Destructive Testing
Monitoring of manufacturing processes
Online control of manufacturing processes by Non
Design and development of new inspection techniques
We at AIMEN participate actively in a number of international Technology Platforms including EUMAT, ESTEP, Photonics 21, Manufuture and Associations including ASTP, AWS, EARTO, EARMA, and IIW. In 2007 40 posters and presentations on R&D results were given at international conferences.
Research activities need to be developed within a solid network of technology partners. AIMEN has agreements with Technology Centres, Institutes, Universities, and Suppliers.
- Member of the Association of European Science and Technology Transfer (ASTP)
- Member of the American Welding Society (AWS)
- Member of the European Association of Research and Technology Organisations (EARTO)
- Member of the European Association of Research Managers & Administrators (EARMA)
- Member of European Laser Institute (ELI)
- Member of American Society of Materials (ASM)
- Member of the International Institute of Welding (IIW)
- Participation in WATERBORNE
- Participation in the European Steel and Technology Platform (ESTEP)
- Participation in the Photonics 21 Platform
- Participation in the Technology Platform on Future Manufacturing Technologies (MANUFUTURE)
- Participation in the European Technology Platform for Advanced Materials and Technologies (EUMAT)
The Technology Transfer Office (TTO) and the R&D Project Management Team in AIMEN has 12 staff and is the department in charge of supporting exploitation of results, consulting on patents and licensing, R&D activities management, knowledge transfer activities, innovation and technology watch.
- Organisation of technical workshops and seminars with Researchers and Companies
- Dissemination of technology (publications, presentations)
- Cooperation with other TTOs
- Technology watch centre OBTESOL
Business Development & Administration
Our Researchers have the support of professional Research Managers and Administrators providing professional management of research within the European Research Area.
Identification of Calls and Work Programmes
Identification of R&D needs in the industry and promote collaboration
Promotion of R&D&i activities in the companies and consulting on calls for proposals
Develop communication and management tools to facilitate companies access to research results of AIMEN
Financial and technical administration of research projects (FP7)
Proofreading and enhancement of proposals for successful evaluation at European level: Technology + Political, Economic and Social content & Implementation & Impact
Liaison Office (National Contact Points, European Commission, Networks)
Understands Business Needs
AIMEN is located in the Northwest of Spain, Galicia, an industrialised area hosting the most productive automotive plant in Europe, numerous automotive suppliers, Europe's largest fishing port, and the largest private shipyards in Spain. Being a multi-sectorial association, AIMEN's R&D&i activities are focused on the industries of its 100 members, active in the automotive, shipbuilding, aeronautics, wind energy, and metal mechanical sector.
Leading companies in the Automotive, Shipbuilding, Renewable Energies, and Textile industry
High degree of internationalisation (8% of Spanish exports from Galicia with 5% weight in Spanish GDP)
We are specialised in Materials and Joining Technologies that are applied in a variety of industries. Most of our work is compatible with the following European research programmes:
VII Framework Programme, Cooperation:
VII Framework Programme, Capacities:
- Research for the Benefit of SME
- Research Infrastructures
- Regions of Knowledge
VII Framework Programme, People:
- Intra-European Research
- Initial training for researchers
- Life-long training and career development
- Industry-academia pathways
- International dimension
Other EU Programmes: CIP, RFCS, COST, EUREKA,ERA-NET's.