- Start: 01/12/2022
- End: 31/05/2026
The general objective of Bio-Uptake project is to ensure a sustainable uptake (increase the use in a 39%) of bioplastic composites through boosting a twin green and digital transformation in the European manufacturing industry. In particular, Bio-Uptake solution will focus scientific and technology efforts on developing flexible manufacturing processes to produce biobased end-products for the construction, medical and packaging sectors based on the combination of intermediate formats made of natural and/or biobased synthetic fibres reinforced with biopolymers, which are easily adaptable to new market demands.
Bio-Uptake ground-breaking concept tackles 3 pillars:
1) achieving material FUNCTIONALITY through the composite lay-up, in which semi-finished structures called intermediate formats permits to better influence in the eco-design and customization of properties, allowing to meet technical quality criteria and requirements.
2) introducing process DIGITALISATION by building up a digital hybrid twin, that allows the interoperability of manufacturing technologies and enables the training of the workforce to adapt and normalize the use of biobased materials in the European manufacturing industry.
3) ensuring a SUSTAINABLE end-of-life by introducing scientific novelties in the materials that permits remanufacturing and a controlled de-manufacturing.
AIMEN will be in charge of developing the digital platform, the digital thread, data collection, system interoperability... In addition to collaborating in AI developments to analyse points for process improvement.
- Sectors: Construction, Medical device, packaging
- Financing programme: HORIZON EUROPE
- R&D&i: Flexible manufacturing cells, Integrated monitoring and control systems, Mass customization, Multimaterial systems
- Leader: Aitiip Centro Tecnológico
- Partners: AIMEN Centro Tecnológico, IRIS Technology Solutions S.L., UNE - Asociación Española de Normalización, Fundación CIDETEC, CENTRE SCIENTIFIQUE & TECHNIQUE DEL'INDUSTRIE TEXTILE BELGE ASBL, Specific Polymers, Simcon, Podcomp, Comfil, Moses Products, Limerick University, Polimeris
- Acronym: Bio-Uptake
- Ambit: International